This ship is actually my reworked version of a design I found online and built. It was originally pretty much just a circular plate with wings, but I wanted to add the trapezoidal rear half with a tail wing, as well as something to represent the giant bird that’s painted on the ship’s underside. This is also a case where I’ve decided to >GASP!< alter parts in order to make them fit into my design. I’ve got an exacto, and I’m not afraid to use it, dammit!
Yep… I cut off one end from each of the 1×2 Plate w/Stick parts used as wing hinges. They kept getting in the way of the studs on the rear hull.
The front view really highlights the somewhat overly bulkiness of my build, but I think it worked well from most other angles. Yay compromise!
This is a case of most the right pieces falling into place, which resulted in this ship coming together much faster than any other Star Trek model of mine. The hardest part was coming up with a way to represent the D7’s “trapezoid-meets-two-triangles” look of the rear half, the rest was maybe 5 minutes of assembly. In hindsight, the design’s not as clean as it should be, but it holds together surprisingly well.
Hoch bIquv neH veng SuvwI’ noy donut!
Last year being Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary, I decided to try building LEGO versions of vehicles from all throughout the franchise. But I didn’t want to make full-blown, high detail models like I’ve seen all over the internet. I’ve got a pretty decent sized collection of LEGO bricks, but certainly not enough to build more than one, possibly two ships. My goal was to make them as small as possible, yet still have them be reasonably accurate representations. I wanted something like Micro Machines, or NECA/WizKid’s Attack Wing line of miniatures, in LEGO form.
The tricky thing about building LEGO vehicles in such a small scale is that you often find yourself switching back & forth between one “stud” positioning and another. Placing a brick in one position may not look exactly right, but placing it just one stud over might make it look better. Or worse. Sometimes, it’s six of one, and a half dozen of the other. You just have to decide which looks less incorrect.
I’d seen another micro version of the Enterprise-D online, with the nacelles made up of three tiles in height. While this allows for a top & bottom grey, sandwiching the clear blue & clear red, it just looked too thick for the scale I was going for. So, I compromised with just a flat grey tile on top of the clear pieces, letting the grey piece of the “pylon” represent that lower layer. It’s not perfect, but I think it achieves the overall representation without losing proportion.
This side view illustrates the “six of one” dilemma I mentioned earlier. The space between the saucer and the nacelles really should be about 1/2 of a stud, but I just couldn’t make it happen. Ultimately, I opted for the slightly longer position, in order to avoid the ship becoming more of a super-deformed version.
The Main Deflector is simply a 1×2 clear blue plate, which works well from the front, but leaves too much exposed on the sides. Just another example of scale compromise, maybe someday I’ll paint the sides to cover it up. Also, yay dust!
I’m still not totally happy with the 2×2 sloped piece on the Star Drive section. Happier less with the sloppy glue that I never noticed until I processed this photo, haha.
YES I GLUE MY LEGO MODELS TOGETHER. At least, I glue the micro builds I come up with. The whole reason I want tiny ships is so I can carry one around with me, and it gets frustrating having to repeatedly reassemble them. Sometimes I’ll glue together large “components” of a ship, so it can be broken down into 2 or 3 pieces, but in most cases I’ll glue it all together. In fact, some of the other ships I’ve built just wouldn’t stay together without glue.
Of course, I just had to build a 3rd nacelle piece…
Warp 13, any heading!